Do Core Maths qualifications attract UCAS Tariff points?
Core Maths qualifications attract the same UCAS tariff points as an AS Level:
Are these Level 3 qualifications included in performance tables or the post-16 condition of funding?
Core Maths qualifications are approved for the:
- ‘Level 3 Maths’ measure for the 16-19 performance tables
- Level 3 Maths qualification for Techbacc
- Level 3 Maths qualification for the post-16 condition of funding
Can students take both AS Level Maths and Core Maths at the same time?
The only entry exclusions are that candidates cannot be entered for Core Maths B in the same examination series as Core Maths A and vice versa.
Core Maths qualifications are suitable for those:
- with a grade 4 or C, or above, in GCSE Maths at age 16
- not taking AS or A Level maths or an International Baccalaureate (IB) maths certificate
Therefore we don’t expect centres to deliver Core Maths alongside AS or A Level Maths. Core Maths exams are timetabled in the same slots as the two AS Level Maths exams. If centres have candidates sitting both AS Level Maths and Core Maths they would need to follow the guidance given by the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) for timetable clashes.
16-18 performance points would be available for both qualifications as the discount code for Core Maths is different to AS and A Level Maths.