A Level Physics B (H557)
- The basic requirements for the Practical Endorsement are unchanged. You should still aim to complete a minimum of 12 practical activities with your students, covering all of the CPAC and apparatus and techniques. A minimum of 15% of marks in the written examinations will still cover indirect assessment of practical skills.
- We understand that circumstances, such as localised school closures, may make meeting the Practical Endorsement requirements difficult for some centres. In such cases, students can still be awarded the Practical Endorsement if they have demonstrated competence in all the CPAC and 1.2.1 criteria, even if they haven’t completed the usual minimum requirement of 12 practicals. However, it’s important that students are still taught about any apparatus and techniques they are unable to cover, as they will still be expected to answer questions about these in the examinations.
- Centres must still submit an OCR NEA Centre Declaration Form.
- All monitoring during the 2020/2021 academic year will be carried out remotely. There will be no face-to-face visits. Remote monitoring will not include a lesson observation but teacher records and student work will still need to be inspected.
AS Level Physics B (H157)
- For students who are on an AS only pathway, if they cannot carry out practical science work, they can observe a demonstration and/or simulation carried out by a teacher or remotely (for example by watching a demonstration online or a video).
- Students who are completing an AS Level as the first year of the two-year A Level course will still be expected to meet the full A Level Practical Endorsement requirements before examinations in June 2022.
- A minimum of 15% of the marks in the written examinations will still cover indirect assessment of practical skills.
For more information, you can watch our YouTube video: Changes to Assessment in 2021 - AS and A Level Sciences
Please also check our Subject Information update: Summer 2021 adaptations of AS, A Level and GCSE qualifications for the latest information.